From:
Anne Robb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 00:45:39 -0700
Hi,
        Just wanted to clarify my post on gentian violet. Just because I am
up front about some of the drawbacks does not mean I don't think the stuff
is well worth it. Any mom asking me about yeast is sure to hear that "many
mothers find" gentian violet is a cheap, excellent product and they may want
to discuss it's use with their HCP...  To me, part of affording someone the
opportunity to make an informed decision is letting them know what they are
getting into -- I limit my comments to, "it can stain, so you might want to
think about ways to protect your clothing, breathable bra liners, either
commercial or homemade, and some "burp cloths" for catching baby drool are a
good idea, bleach does a great job of getting it out of whites..."
        Then I have to respect and support the moms that do call back with
complaints about it not working out in their lives to use something with X
and such drawback and help them find what will work for them.
        I also looked at my label on my own bottles (yep I do use it, even
though I dread the "purple invasion") and see that the gentian violet
concentration is either 1% or 2% in a 10% alcohol base --- I was wondering
about the recent post about diluting the 1%  by half which sounded like the
person thought they were diluting to 1/2% alcohol?... was it the alcohol or
the gentian violet concentration? Just curious.

still hoping for a non purple gentian solution!

Anne E. Robb, MAT, LLLL
Off on a Tangent, Oregon, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]