From:
Cristina C Eury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 02:26:39 EDT
        Hello! I've been lurking for a week, feeling very humble and
under qualified to be among all of you.  This is an incredible resource
for those interested in counseling others in lactation.  I was recently
trained (Nov. 96) as a WIC breastfeeding peer counselor in Gainesville,
FL.  It has proved very rewarding to help others, even with my limited
training and knowledge.  I am also finishing up my B.A. in Anthropology
(cultural/medical) with minors in Secondary Education and Women's Studies
at UF.  My focus, since my daughter's birth 15 months ago, has been
natural childbirth and of course breastfeeding.  I even wrote a paper
entitled "Empowerment thru Breastfeeding".  It focuses a lot on Dr.
Dettwyler's work about underlying beliefs.  My friend, Heidi Murphy
posted/linked it to her home page, it is available at
<http://grove.ufl.edu/~heidilc1/crisbf.htm>.  I had thought about trying
to publish it in a lay magazine like "Mothering", etc.  I'm in the
process of revising it, but all are welcome to read it to get revived as
to why we do this, and send me your comments.  I don't really mean this
in a self-serving way, but it got me pumped up doing the research.
         I have been very active with our local LLL group and am now a
Leader applicant.  When I finish this degree, I would like to pursue
becoming a Childbirth Educator and a LC.  I have been through Bradley
classes and ICEA (I think) classes, but have been recommended BirthWorks
as more centered on the woman herself and her natural abilities, rather
than a particular coach.  I loved the stress on relaxation by Bradley
classes.  My daughter's birth went very well (14 hour labor).  I
attribute this to being able to relax.  I also want to share the joys
(and secrets) of natural, informed, prepared childbirth with others.
Anyone know where I could find out more about BirthWorks?  I would also
like to know what is the best way for me to go about preparing to become
an IBCLC.  Please e-mail me privately, if you feel it necessary.
        I also wanted to respond to the question of greens and allergic
babies.  In my limited experience, I know of one mom to whom both babies
with highly allergic in infancy.  The babies would have a "colicky"
period 24 hours after she ate the offending food like cabbage, peanuts,
whey, etc.  Her diet sounded very similar to what you described, mostly
chicken/turkey and very little to none in the way of vegies, even though
she had been a vegetarian.  When the infants got older she would slowly
reintroduce the food when the system had matured.  As toddlers, they seem
to have no more problems.  I'm sure that others are more knowledgable,
though.  Just thought you might want an example.
        I'm sorry this has turned out to be so long.  I did want to share
before I go 'nomail' during the semester , I'm having trouble keeping up
with my studies with all this mail!  Thank you all for your wealth of
knowledge and please excuse my "noviceness" both here and in my computer
knowledge.
Cristina Cabezas Eury, mama to bfing Sofia Jade (7 May 96)
wife to Wayne (Tag) since 1 August 1993
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5591(new)