HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tom Beaman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 1997 00:42:12 -0400
09.26.97

Regarding 18th century taverns and inns:

I've been looking over some material from Brunswick Town, North Carolina, for
my M.A. thesis, and based on what I've seen, there were only two such
establishments known in the town.  The first is the Public House and Tailor
Shop, which deeds state was inn (prior to becoming a tailor shop, which is
not mentioned in the deeds).  The second is Nath Moore's Front, a residential
structure which was utilizing its basement as an ordinary (stated in deeds).
 Both structures date from the early 1730s until ca. 1776.

The most common reference for a basic discussion of the Public House and Nath
Moore's Front is found in Stanley South's Method and Theory in Historical
Archaeology (1977).  There are also short excavation reports on each
structure, but essentially is repetitious of what Method and Theory
discusses.  A reanalysis of Nath Moore's Front was conducted fairly recently
by Anna Gray in her 1989 William and Mary M.A. thesis, "Be Ye Friend or Foe?
An Analysis of Two 18th Century North Carolina Sites."

Cheers,

Tom Beaman