HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"John P. McCarthy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:46:12 -0600
Gang:

I proably won't be very popular for saying so, but...

Lets call a spade a spade. The Williamsburg Conference is largely, IMHO,
an elitist, academic old boys club (with, perhaps, the exception of
Charles Cheek, who is one of us CRM consultant types).

No call for papers was issued and no open, competitive evaluation of
proposals took place.

While I am sure that most of the presentations will be of very high
quality, I am far less sure that the presentors represent the range of
scholarly activity and professional practice our field now commands.

Regards,
John

John P. McCarthy
Institute for Minnesota Archaeology/