HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Wettstaed <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 16:53:15 -0600
Shoot, sometimes today in the Ozarks you would have to look hard to
find the archaeological remains of modern privies.  In some cases
they hang out over the creek, while in others there is no pit and it
is assumed that the regular floods or critters will take care of
removing things.  Some locals were amazed when we told them they
would have to put in a vault if they wanted their special use permit
renewed and they have complained since that kids may fall in the
vault.  I can not think of many pre-20th century sites with any clear
privy feature - James

James Wettstaed   [log in to unmask]

Shared Service Archaeologist, Mark Twain National Forest
"all opinions expressed are my own etc."