HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Doreen Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 10:19:53 -0400
I have been reading with interest the various experiences of archeologists
training students or volunteers in excavation techniques.  While I think a
"fake" site has a lot of merit for short demonstrations, I feel there is no
substitute for the "real thing" for any kind of training lasting more than a
day.

My real problem lies with the fact that by emphasizing excavation, we are
reinforcing the concept that that is what archeology is all about.  Any
archeologist knows that the "dig" is just the tip of the iceberg, that the real
work begins when the excavation is finished.  Unless that can also be conveyed
in "fake" training -- all the way to summarizing the results of the fieldwork --
then we are doing our profession a disservice.  I especially liked the response
where students had been exposed to survey techniques.  That is something I wish
had been emphasized more when I was a student.

Doreen Cooper
Klondike Gold Rush NHP
Skagway, Alaska