HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Terry DelBene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:48:06 -0600
As a former SOPA and SAA member (hey folks... it  got too expensive to
support 15 memberships a year and still support preservation groups which
do things on the ground.... most of my money stayed with the folks who
DO things on the ground.) I have to agree that trying to raise professional
standards and ethics are WONDERFUL goals.  The question becomes does ROPA
stand a chance of accomplishing that goal.

I would like to hear what this Grievance Tsar really does.   How many cases
a year?  How many positive resolutions?  How many cases just bogged down?
  How many people have been kicked out of SOPA for ethical violations?
 How does one train to be a Grievance Tsar?

I'm still a member of the SHA (they at least have a useful journal and
exceptionally interesting meetings) and am concerned about supporting these
other groups with my SHA dues.  I did not note professional standards leaping
through the roof in the 20 years SOPA has been in existence.    Why should
I continue paying to support efforts I already voted against (with my feet)?

I have nothing but respect for the SOPA founders and officers.  It's been
a tough road for all of them.  However, as a consumer who has bills to
pay I don't have a difficult decision to make.   On one hand I have the
option to drop my earnings to be part of an elitist list  (which nobody
apparently cares about except list members ) which will confirm that my
college degrees qualify me to be called an archaeologist.  On the other
hand I can take the same money and support some group which is preserving
cultural resources or providing meals for hungry people.  I guess the people
and the resources will win over the warm and fuzzy feeling I get from knowing
that I am a certified archaeologist.

Walk in Beauty...Terry