HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 10:36:44 BST
On Mon, 1 Sep 1997 09:41:02 +1100 Susan Lawrence wrote:

> >Does anyone have a quick source/date for soft paste porcelain
> >with applied blue floral sprigs (typically thistles and forget-me-
> >nots)?  It seems that something similar was being made at Derby,
> >in imitation of Angouleme porcelain, but I don't know how similar
> >as I've been unable to track down an illustration (although
> >admittedly I haven't tried too hard yet).
> >

> Alasdair, could you please forward to the list any information you get?
> I've seen lots the material you describe on sites here in Australia, and
> have never been able to find out anything about it.
>
> Thanks,
> Susan Lawrence

A couple more details that I neglected to put in the original post, and
which may be helpful (and which are in keeping with Australian dates):

The sites from which the material was recovered are farm sites located
in southwest Wales (specifically, north Pembrokeshire).  The occupation
dates are c.1750 - c. 1900, but the vast bulk of the ceramics post-date
1800, and indeed, appear to be mostly concentrated around 1840-1850.

Incidentally, so far I've had responses from Australia, South Africa and
France - surely some of this material must have been recovered from
American and Canadian sites....

Alasdair