From:
Denhez Louise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:25:09 -0400
Lately, we had a rash of babies with poor weight gain. The usual: flat
nipples, bad latching, tongue sucking, etc... But two babies had an
unusual cause: Moms had flat breast! One with flat nipples also, the
other with perfectly normal looking nipples. But the two poor babies
would open wide and try to get some breast tissue, to no avail. One Mom
had even trouble making a nipple sandwich, the other had to hold it
throughout the nursing period, a it would flatten and baby would loose
latch. Even our very good LC threw up her hands in despair and had one of
the Moms pumping and giving in a bottle. I saw the other Mom right after
delivery (normal, not medicalized, Mom had no breast surgery, was healthy):
Baby was eager to suck, but could not grab breast. Right now, I
hope that the breast will increase in volume as the milk "comes in", but
I have doubts, as I remember the other Mom-Baby dyad.
Any suggestions?

Louise Denhez, M.D., M.P.H
Montreal, Queebc, Canada