From:
Patricia Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 23:58:06 -0400
Dear Sarah, I've been thinking about this one all day.  Breast exam during
pg....  I guess we need to know:
Does she have 2? (mastectomy? birth defect?)
Evidence of br surgery? Scars?
normal shape? (size doesn't matter-but tubular may matter),
does each breast have a nipple? (Had a mom who was burned as a child, one
breast had no nipple, no outlet, worked with her on severe engorgement on
the one side, interestingly it was less severely engorged with each
subsequent baby)
Accessory nipples? location?
Inverted or pseudo inverted nipples? Flat? Respond to stimulation? (I still
subscribe to Hoffman technique or shells)
Breast changes during pg?

OK folks, what else?????  Most of the info, if not normal/red flag can be
noted for future use, without overtly discouraging mom.

A breast exam at initial prenatal visit, along with the question, how do
you plan to BF your baby? and HCP's endorsement of BF as preferred method,
provides a strong message to mom  on importance of BF.  Gives an opening
for anticipatory guidance, encourage mom to read or go to meetings or
classes.

Sincerely, Pat in SNJ