From:
Richard Drutchas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 1997 06:47:37 +0000
Tim: Sorry you misunderstood my question I was'nt very clear. I put out
one hundred or so boxes for cut comb every year and have watched alot of
comb being drawn. This situation was a bit different in that all these
hives (110) had been moved from there original stands to a holding yard
for pollination and they all got a deep box of plastic with two drawn
frames on the sides and feed. About ten of these hives decided to go
thier own way and ignored the frames as if they were not there so I tore
the misdirected comb out and put in partially drawn comb from the hives
that used the plastic. This of course is typical but I was just curious
if anyone out there had ever played around with comb oriantation either
by wrapping an electrified wire around the hive changing the magnetic
poles or just moving the hive around to see if indeed the bees do
remember thier original comb direction. Ill try to notice this year what
percent of the cut comb hives have to be redirected it seemed that by
the hives being moved there was more cross comb building then usual.
Just thinking out load.