HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Monica Beck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 13:36:46 -0500
Hi Anita,

A slave cabin  and kitchen were reconstructed (in 1991 and the late
1980s respectively) in the main antebellum house complex at Historic
Brattonsville, which is located outside of Rock Hill, SC near Charlotte.
 Historic Brattonsville is a county-owned site that has recently merged
with the Museum of York County.  There are over 7 extant structure that
were built from 1775 to the 1850s and the site is open to the public as
a living history museum.

The kitchen was reconstructed after an archaeological excavation,
however they chose not to rebuild what appeared to be an outdoor hearth
on the outside of the chimney.  The slave cabin was simply rebuilt after
the entact foundation was totally cleared out of the way.  Although
there is an existing original slave cabin to serve as a model, the
reconstructed slave cabin was built much higher off the ground and
larger.  If interested in further info, call Historic Brattonsville at
(803) 684-2327.

This is a topic that interests me.  I work at the colonial village of
Old Dorchester located 22 miles west of Charleston, SC.  We have three
structures remaining after the town was abandoned in 1781 which are a
tabby fort, a powder magazine, and a bell tower.  Numerous foundations
represent the structures of the village.  We are beginning to look at
ways to interpret, reconstruct or simply construct models of village
structures within a museum setting.  Any suggestions or more detailed
information on reconstructed structures at public archaeological site,
please contact me directly at: [log in to unmask]

Thanks,

Monica Beck