HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Trammel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:15:27 -0500
Mary Ellin,
Hey, this is Linda Derry in Alabama.
Are you sure there are no chamber pots in your inventories?  Perhaps you
should consider slang terms for this item.  Its been a long time since I've
worked on 17th century sites, but stuck back in my long term memory is the
idea that "looking glass" was a term used in inventories for chamber pot.
 I don't have a reference to this, but  think  either Jim Deetz or Marley
Brown told me this.  So this might be a lead for your to look into.  If
Mary Beaudry is out there, I bet she would know. (that's why I put her name
in the subject file, so she can correct me.  - Hi Mary )   Since mirrors
were relatively expensive then, I would think that if you have a number of
these listed, that they may indeed have been the less expensive "pots."
But like I said, I may just be mis-remembering.
    And everyone, if you do have something to say about this topic, please
do continue.  I for one am benefiting from this thread.  I think we need to
discuss how we recognize a feature as a "privy."  I'd love it if we could
decide here what exactly are the distinquishing characteristics  (dispite
the variability) of privies.
thats my two cents worth.
Linda Derry  [log in to unmask]