HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Erica S. Gibson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 23:17:48 -0500
On January 23, Victoria Owens wrote:
>I'm looking for some information on some bottle maker's marks.

>First of all we have a bottle base with a diamond (a square on it's end)
>with an 's' in it.  Toulouse states that the mark is associated with the
>T. A. Snider Preserve Co.  I was wondering if anyone had anymore
>nformation on this company.

>Also, We have a small fragmentary bottle base with an elongated
>diamond/lozenge with an 'o' in it.  This is probably associated with
>an Ohio based plant of the Diamond Glass Co. But I don't have any
>confirmation for this or any dates.

Victoria:

For the T.A. Snider preserve Company You might check Betty Zumwalt's book:
     1980  Ketchup, Pickles Sauces:19th Century Food in Glass., p. 388.
She has a brief description of the company and its marks.

The second mark sounds as if it is may be Owens mark or an Owens Illinois
mark.

Erica Gibson
Sonoma State University