HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Shannon Dawdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 10:08:45 -0600
RE: Carl Steen's question about the Santa Elena chamberpot shaped like
an umbrella stand.

This is a common 16-18th century form known as a "basIn" in Spanish. I think
there are examples illustrated in Deagan's Spanish colonial books.  I know
there are French Saintonge versions in the 17th-c. Tunica Treasure collection.

Were the Tunica Indians using chamberpots??? Seems unlikely they were being
used for their intended purpose, but it is interesting to note their
presence in the lots of trade goods supplied by the Cours de Bois.  Perhaps
non-Anglo colonists were more interested in sanitation.  Any British
archaeologists listening who can speak to 17th century habits?

-- Shannon Dawdy