HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 11:37:14 -0800
From:
"Timothy J. Scarlett" <[log in to unmask]>
Dear list members,

For those who don't know me, I am a graduate student studying historical
archaeology in the Department of Anthropology at the University of Nevada,
Reno. I am coordinating the use of two small grants to set up a teaching
slide library for our department to use in classes.  We were inspired to
set establish this collection since we began teaching in the distance
education format and our lectures are broadcast over open system cable or
satellite TV.  As others who have tried this can appreciate, there are
substantial problems of copyright and licensing for audio-visual
materials.  We are beginning to purchase slide sets from companies that
will release copyright of material for use in this format.

I am currently negotiating these issues with one company, Pictures of
Record, who have been very helpful thus far.  POR slides focus on
archaeology and architecture with a few ethnographic slide series.  I
called the Smithsonian and National Geographic, among others, to find
anyone that is selling slide sets that focus on ethnographic materials.  I
have been totally unsuccessful.

Does anyone run or know of a company, museum, department, or individual
that sells slide series for scholars?  I am collecting this information
for future use in library development.  The woman that I spoke to at
National Geographic said that photographic slides were "outdated
technology"!  While that may be, it is very difficult to visit an
elementary school in rural Nevada and expect them to have a digital image
projector.  Please send any help or comments to me off list.  I will
repost a short summary if the list members will find it of use.  Please
feel free to pass this request on to other lists and discussion groups.

Thank You.

Tim Scarlett
Teaching Assistant
Department of Anthropology