From:
Annelies Bon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 20:12:18 +0000
Patricia wrote:

Her supply seemed below what her baby wanted so she began pumping.  Dad had
been around while I was working with her (I do home visits) and he was very
detatched and disinterested.  When she began pumping, a few ducts were
spraying and she was getting a pretty good flow.  She was so excited. Then
Dad looked over and said, "All you need to do is Moo."  She gave an
embarrassed laugh and I commented that she is making human milk for their
baby and doing a great job.  He said that he grew up on a dairy farm and the
pump sounded just like the pump for the cows 'cept they had four instead of
two.

Immediately the milk flow stopped.  Not a drop would come.<<<

I've wondered before about such a "contra letdown". I've never heard before that
it exists. I thougth that "theory" says, that once the let down reflex occurs
the milk flows and than cannot be stopped anymore.

But I am terrible with pumping. I cannot get much out of it. Even when I already
have a letdown and the milk flows, as soon as I put the pump on my breast, the
flow stops. Kind of contra letdown reflex occurs.

Has this been described before?
--
Annelies Bon
mother of Dirk 6yo, Tom 4yo, Pieter 1yo