Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 07:45:01 PST
Dany: I had a similar experience to the one you described, so I can truly
sympathize with you feelings.

        I received a call asking me to speak about the effects of maternal
nutrition during lactation before a group of local chidbirth educators that met
monthly at a local hospital. There was no fee involved (although they would give
me a free dinner) and I simply assumed that the hospital was the sponsoring body.
        Everyone went well, until question time, when I thought that I vaguely
recognised the name of one of the questioners. As soon as I had finished my
presentation, this person stood to thank me, and requested that everyone stay for
a few minutes to arrange the next meeting. It then became obvious that she was an
IBCLC working as an abm company rep., and that her company had sponsored the
event. I felt physically, ill - I wanted to throw up the dinner I had eaten -
preferably over the rep!
        Before I left, I said a few choice words to the person who had invited me
to speak, but it was obvious that the had absolutely no idea why I was so upset,
and was completely bewildered by my reactions. In the end, all I could do was put
the whole thing down to *experience*. You may be sure that I have been *very*
careful about enquiring about funding sources since then!

Norma Ritter IBCLC, LLLL
"If not now, when? If not us, who?" R. Hillel