From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 20:52:31 -0800
On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Glyn Davies wrote:

> Bee-liners,
>
> There are two points that have occurred to me during this discussion.
> I think there is a definite inherited susceptibility to chalk brood and a
> bad case appearing is usually cleared up by requeening from cb. free stock I
> find.  Strictly culling suspect Queens is a vital part of
> good management in my view.

 Hi Glyn ,  I belive your statement to be correct. Steve Taber has been
 helping Dr. Gilliam do some work on susceptibility to chalk brood. Some
lines clear it up and others fail to remove the mummies. This falls back
on hygienic behavior .
 Chalk-Brood is a fungi and with an enviornment that cools down and has
moisture , you have a very good chance to have some larva infected.The
spores can  last for 15 years and still infect the larva. So there is a
very good chance that a high percentage of hives do have some spores in
them that could infect the larva.The 30 C. is an important factor and the
other is the susceptibility of your bees to chalk-brood.Some bees clean it
right out and you would never know if they had chalk-brood or not without
some very close observation in a lab.
 I think you hit it right on the head with culling out suspect queens.Its
important to have a good line of bees that work well for you in your area.
I'm in western Washington State US and we have moisture problems.Some bees
do better here than others. I do not belive that there is a perfect bee
for all the areas of the world.Beekeepers need to spend some time to
evaluate there queens and how there bees are preforming.I think most of
them do and they do requeening.

 Best Regards
 Roy