HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 07:18:41 -0500
>Please excuse this silly question but WHERE in the world are you talking
>about??

I was afraid someone would ask that.

One of the problems of researching customs and superstitions and the like,
is the issue of context.  If I find a black hat in Crown Heights, NY, I
will attribute it to Jews. If I find a black hat in Lancaster County, PA, I
will attribute it to the Amish or Mennonites. If I find it in middle
America, I will look for a Catholic priest or an undertaker, who are the
only people in many communities likely to wear black hats. Get the picture?
Our conclusions are swayed by context.

Well, it was in central Delaware, ethnicity up for grabs.

Ned Heite, P O Box 53 Camden, Delaware 19934---------------------

Wool Camp in Iceland:  http://www.dmv.com/~iceland---------------
Drafts of papers: http://home.dmv.com/~eheite/index.html---------

The whole world is insane but thee and me, and I worry about thee.