HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karolyn Smardz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:27:21 -0400
Dear Everyone:

I too am finding this most interesting.  In 1985, the Archaeological Resource
Centre (now defunct) of the Toronto Board of Education ran its pilot public
archaeology project at the site of the Thornton and Lucie Blackburn house.
 The project was carried out in cooperation with the Ontario Black History
Society, and remains, I believe, the only fugitive slave site ever excavated
in Ontario.  Since this province received literally thousands of free and
fugitive African-Americans in the antebellum period,  I can only lament the
lack of work in this area.

The results were not published, but there are several articles about the dig,
as well as an award-winning documentary video.  I am currently completing a
manuscript on the lives of the Blackburns that demonstrates the integration
of intensive primary research in African-American history with archaeological
site results, and hope to have it out next year.  (Just to make life
interesting, I am also starting a doctorate in Race, Slavery and Imperialism
in the History Department of the University of Waterloo, Ontario as a result
of interest generated by this dig and my subsequent research).

In the meantime, I don't have the URL but refer you to the Nova Scotia
Museum's site on the Web.  Link to Birchtown, which is a WONDERFUL
archaeology project on the late 18th century Black Loyalist settlement on the
south shore of that province. The work has been done by Stephen Davies of St.
Mary's University, Halifax.

Best to all,

Karolyn