HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeff Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 18:45:27 GMT
While researching the history of Wortley Top Forge, I have come across notes
made in the mid-18th century by the Ironomaster John Cockshutt, concerning
the bill of 1750 for the removal of importation duties on American iron.

In which he states that the American ironmasters have an unfair advantage in
terms of production costs through the use of slave labour, was this the case?
Although not wishing to offend anyone over a potentially sensitive subject,
I was also wondering how the purchase cost plus the cost of food and any
other expenses related to a slave, compared with the wages paid to an
ironworker in Great Britain.

Disclaimer: I have no wish in this request to cause any form of tension or
aggravation within the group, the sentiment expresssed above is that of the
Ironmaster concerned and was considered acceptable at the time it was
written. Thankfully, the world has moved on.

Jeff Morris AMInstCES PIFA     Email [log in to unmask]
Wortley Top Forge Archaeological Survey
Wortley Top Forge Industrial Museum
Wortley Village
Wortley
Sheffield
England
S30 7DN

A Research Project of the South Yorkshire Industrial History
Society (formerly The Sheffield Trades Historical Society)
                 Registered Charity No. 506339