From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 1997 19:35:13 +0100
>Why are there suggestions that the milk should be treated? For years at
>the hospital at which I work our peds have told the Mums to just keep
>breastfeeding.

I understood that doctors sometimes want to confirm that it's "just"
breastmilk jaundice - not some kind of pathological jaundice - and do so by
taking baby off mom's milk for a day or two to see if the bili drops.  The
heat-treating seemed to me a way to let mom stay in control of the whole
affair and use her milk thruout.  Or is my first premise wrong?

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY