From:
Dori Dorfman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 12:10:32 EST
I hope someone will be able to help me with a situation that I have been
handed.  I was told that there is new research on lead and breastmilk, done
in either Michigan or Minnesota (I know I should have been listening a little
better) This reasearch supposedly showed a wide range in lead level from one
feed to the next.  The person who told me about this discounted Dr.
Lawrence's lead reference saying that this research is much newer and shows
that in the lactating woman the lead isn't bound to the bones.  She also
dismissed Tom Hale's reference stating that there were many more subjects in
this new study.
I was told that I would have to counsel a woman with blood levels of 15 or
higher to NOT breastfeed because of the continuous exposure to the baby of
low levels of lead.  I feel that if the baby is in an environment that is
lead contaminated that the safer feeding method would be breast, but I was
told that this would not be adviseable.
Does anyone know if this study exists?  If so has it been done properly or is
it seriously confounded?  TIA
Dori