From:
Mary Broadfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 10:16:15 -0000
From 'Scotland on Sunday' 23rd march 1997
'After Dolly, here comes a herd of Rosies'
'A herd of cloned dairy cows is now being manufactured as the next step in
the accelerating genetic revolution spreading from the Roslin Institute
near Edinburgh.
.......Rosie, a genetically altered Friesian cow capable of producing
'humanised' milk who first emerged in February, is expected to be joined by
her first clone by the end of this year.
"Cloning Rosie is our next objective, we are working on her now" said
Julian Cooper, PPL's general manager at the company's laboratories in
Texas. "Given the success of Dolly and the confidence we have in our
technology, we see no reason why she will not clone in the same way."
The development marks the first crucial step in starting a production line
for a commercially viable herd of cows capable of providing milk containing
the protein Alpha-lact-albumin, an essential ingredient in human mothers'
milk not normally found in dairy produce.
PPL has a long-standing relationship with Wyeth Ayerst, which is working
with the Scottish geneticists to develop a synthetic baby food substitute
made entirely from Rosie's milk.
In the light of this latest development, and assuming the experiments go
well, PPL could soon be a major player in a world market worth billions of
pounds a year.
PPL finance director Richard Crew said " Taking just the formula milk
market, we are talking about tens of billions of dollars a year, of which
we expect to gain a significant market share." '

(More about ethics of cloning in general, lab has gone ex-directory for
fear of attacks from militant animal rights organisations, etc)

The shape of things to come? And you thought you only had algae to worry
about...

Mary Broadfoot, Paisley, Scotland