From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:19:57 -0500
Jack Newman wrote:

> This is perfectly absurd.  Why on earth would breastfeeding increase
> the risk of heart attack?

I agree.  It's absurd.  I actually think its one of the stupidest things
I've ever heard about breastfeeding.  However, I think we do women a
great diservice if we say "your genuine fears are absurd".  If I had
said that to this mom, she would have written me off as a crazed
breastfeeding fanatic, which, of course, I may be, but her thinking that
about me would have turned her away.

I can't even fathom why breastfeeding would increase your chance of a
heart attack.  It makes no sense to me.  But, she said she had read an
article quoting a study so I was curious if this rang a bell with
anyone.  I certainly don't expect there to be a study on this, however,
there could be a study talking about something related that she
misinterpreted.

This woman wanted a reason to wean her baby and I wasn't going to give
it to her based on this absurdity.  I *can* try to provide her with
information to help eliminate her fear.

Kathy