From:
DANI HUDSPETH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 21:12:23 -0600
Dear friends,
One of our nurses who began spreading "Ezzo" philosophy to our other expecting nurses is having much trouble with breastfeeding.  We've been through several bouts of different trials and tribulations together.  I've always included co-sleeping  or family bed as a nice solution to several of her problems.  She has adamantly refused to take her baby into her bed.  Baby was sleeping all night and she didn't want to ruin that.  Baby is now 6 months old.  This mom is having to pump and give EBM because baby won't nurse much.  Because of the wonderful influence of a couple of our nurses who share a family bed, now this nurse is beginning to admit that perhaps co-sleeping isn't so horrible.  She even admitted to me last week that she tried taking baby into her bed, but she (mom) doesn't sleep much.  Problem:  Now she says baby will try to nurse sometimes, but her let down is very slow - 5-10 minutes into nursing or pumping.  Baby gets very frustrated and screams, refuses breast.   She has tried massage and warm packs. This mom is planning to give up nursing and pumping this week and switch to formula.  I reminded her that skin-to-skin contact increases prolactin levels to augment supply, but I'm not sure what to tell her about this delayed let down.  Any suggestions?  This mom is so frustrated!!  I know she'll stop this week if I cannot give her any hope.  Your help would be so much appreciated!!
Dani Hudspeth BSN, RN, IBCLC