From:
"Jan L. Aken" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 12:31:31 EST
Hello to all from soggy Washington State

 I know your frustration but over the years I havechanged my thinking. This
being the reason .You have a mother  that you spend hours with; teaching,
demonstrations, getting  the baby to breast feed etc. and everything seems to be
going ok when they say, "Oh I decided to quit so dad could help with the
feeding" or for what ever lame reason they may give.
I always felt like  I had  failed them in some way and  I would blame myself.
Well as I have gotten OLDER and wiser I am seeing this in a different light. I
have worked at my hosptial for almost 12 years and I am seeing moms come back
2-4 more times to deliver babies. I have found that some of the ones that gave
up breastfeeding with the first or even second will decide to breast feed baby
#3 or #4 and do very well and then add that it was thanks to the help I had
given earlier that now they were able to breast feed.
So I think if the mother decides to quit we should not feel guilty. We may have
planted a seed that may take years to sprout.
Jan Aken RN IBCLC