Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 09:42:07 PST
   Sorry, BEE-L people. I hit the wrong button when sending a message to
Lilia Ibay de Guzman about sending her some varroa mite samples.  I
inadvertently sent the message out over the whole net and apologize.

   However, I lnow repeat her original request to BEE-L members.  She is at
the Baton Rouge USDA/ARS laboratory and needs varroa samples from around
the country for her studies.  Her e-mail address:  [log in to unmask]

   Now that I have your attention, we may be nearing the end of our varroa
mite introduction study out on Santa Cruz Island.  Three years ago we
distributed 85 mites only on one portion of that uninhabited island (part
of the Channel Islands National Park).  For the first two years the feral
colonies we monitored showed no adverse effects, even though we knew the
mites were successfully reproducing.

   Then, less than a year ago we recorded one colony collapse after
another, with varroa mites obviously responsible.  The first dramatic
symptom:  a massive outbreak of chalkbrood, previously barely noticeable in
the colonies.  At that time we also found the colonies very mean spirited.
Colony collapse also became widespread at nearly the same time on other
parts of island --- far removed from the initial introduction sites.

   The sudden colony collapse without beekeepers being aware of an
infestation now becomes more understandable.  My impression is that a
colony can harbor ever higher loads of varroa infestation and then suddenly
reaches a breaking point.  In this case, they could no longer keep their
brood hygenic --- with the result that chalkbrood took over.

   In the old days we would call this "colony demoralization."

   The day after tomorrow I go to the island again and will be able to
monitor the system some more.  The manzanita is now in full bloom (as is
the eucalyptus), so --- weather permitting --- I can determine what parts
of the island still have colonies.

                                        Adrian

* Adrian Wenner        E-Mail   [log in to unmask]  *
* Dept.Ecol.,Evol.,& Mar.Biol. Office Phone    (805) 893-2838 *
* University of California     Lab Phone       (805) 893-2675 *
* Santa Barbara, CA  93106     FAX             (805) 893-8062 *
*  "The difference between real and unreal things is that     *
*  unreal things usually last much longer."  Pot-Shots #6728  *
*     Copyright, Ashleigh Brilliant -- used with permission   *