From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 11:28:04 -0500
On 18 Jan 97 at 23:05, Stan Sandler wrote: Fumagillan resistance?

> What biological control alternatives are available?  (I was under the
> impression that the bees would recover on their own, but with a reduction in
> strength and therefore yield that season.  I could be quite wrong,  and I do
> not know if untreated hives are more likely to harbour "spores" that will
> reinfect them in winter conditions.  Nosema is a "sporozoan" ??, so I assume
> it has spores?  :)

The point that always suprises me whenever Nosema is discussed, is the
lack of awareness that the hive should be fumigated using Acetic Acid.
        Without that fumigation the spores just go round and round. The usual
pratice when a hive dies of nosema, is the put the boxes etc back into
service and allow the bees to clean up the mess. The best way is to pile
the boxes up, seal all edges with tape and place a dish of 80% Acetic Acid
in the bottom for a few days, and stop the merry-go-round.
The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Agents for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks