From:
Craig A Abel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 16:09:48 -0600
Walter Patton recently wrote:

>>                Before this group gets split up into sophisticated sub (snoot)
>>groups could I seek info from the group about the correct spelling of our
>>beloved. Is it HONEYBEE or is it HONEY BEE. I see it both ways and I'm sure
>>some old drones or GOV.paid professionals will be able to set me straight
>>on this matter.

I've seen it written both ways, more commonly as one word. It is probably
more accurate to write it as two.

"Most" common names for a particular insect species (or small group of
related insect species) are written as two words. The last word designates
the order, suborder, or group of families to which the species of insect
belongs. The first word is descriptive.

Using examples may make this clearer. Examples might include house fly (on
insect that belongs to the order Diptera, which are commonly known as the
flies, that often lives in houses), stink bug (an insect that belongs to the
order Hemiptera, which are commonly known as bugs, with this particular
insect smelling bad when disturbed).

Sometimes a common name used for an insect order (e.g. fly for the Diptera;
and, bug for the Hemiptera) is used in the common name for an insect species
that does not belong to that order. In this case the common name is written
as one word. Examples include dragonfly (an insect which belongs to the
order Odonata not Diptera), ladybug (which is actually a group of insects
belonging to the Coleoptera or beetles not bugs).

Since bee is the common name used to refer to pollinating Hymenoptera and
honey is the descriptive part of the common name referring to its ability to
produce and store honey, honey bee should probably be written as two words.

Having said this, I think either way is currently accepted and used.

Craig Abel (Entomologist)
USDA-ARS Plant Introduction Station
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011