From:
Jeremy Burbidge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 06:52:44 -0500
Queries for Bee-L from Matthew J Allan, editor of Bee Biz

Queries come to me which I can either handle myself, or direct to those most
qualified. Perhaps someone can help with the following which are a little bit
off the beaten track.

a) The price rise in honey makes exporting more attractive for many countries
that up to now had not been able to get into the market. A problem with many
tropical honeys is that the water content is too high. Following an article
about high-tech evaporators, the question of reducing the water content of honey
using reverse osmosis technology was raised. Theoretically, the method should be
possible, and it has certain attractions, but whether it is practicable and
economic is another matter. I have spoken to a number of manufacturers of this
kind of equipment, but nobody has experience of handling honey or anything
similar.
If anyone has knowledge of the process, of opinions on its feasibility, I would
appreciate your help.

b) I have picked up mutterings by concerned parties that there is conflict
between the well-being of solitary bees and honey bees, possibly also between
bumble bees and honey bees. I assume this is referring to competition between
the species for the same food sources. If anyone can point me to the specific
complaints, I shall be interested in following it through. It seems to me
unlikely that the competition exists, or that if it does, the activities of
honey bees are threatening others.

On a less theoretical topic, would anyone care to give some feedback to a
readerUs query? Toying with the idea of expanding his operation and giving up a
paid job, he asks what are the single best and single worst decisions that
commercial beekeepers have made during their careers? I reckon that leaves the
field wide open.

Replies to the above can be sent to  [log in to unmask] for the attention of
JEREMY BURBIDGE

Many thanks for any help that can be given.