From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 23:52:12 -0400
Cliff  forwarded an article which included these statements:

>  Some
>floral sources of honey have been able to inhibit the growth of some of
>the most concerning resistant bacteria under strict laboratory trials.

and

>Honey trials conducted under very strict controls at the Waikato
>Hospital have shown that  honey of differing floral sources can have an
>effect on resistant strains of bacteria.

In addition I have looked at information on honey's antibacterial properties
either on Nick's web pages or linked from Nick's pages (it may have also
been from Waikato).  My question is this:  My "Hive and Honeybee" (1962
edition) talks about this antibacterial property as being caused by some
substance found in very tiny amounts called "inhibine".  Has this theory
been discarded?  Is the antibacterial property only related to the floral
source (as the above quoted statements would imply) or is there something
that the bee, herself, is adding or changing?

Season's Greetings
Stan