HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Guild <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 19:57:23 -0400
Greetings,
This may not be totally relevent to the list but I'm looking for "recently
approved" or  the current methods of preserving old timbers such as inside
beams, wall supports and flooring boards and also wood exposed to the
elements such as cannon carriages.  Some inside beams are 200+ years old and
are experiencing deterioration from boring insects (carpenter ants?).  Some
of the wood has been previously treated with creosote, but urgent, newer
methods are required.  I imagine fumigation might be the first step, but this
is a big building.  Are there any applications that could be applied that
would contain an insect repellant, and also that would not change the
coloring of the wood?  Most of the wood is subject to extreme ranges of
temperature from below freezing to the upper 90's.  Also to much bird
doo-doo.  This structure is on the NRHP.  Any advice would be sincerely
appreciated.

Thanks,
David
OFNA