HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Judy Bense <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 07:51:49 -0500
We have conducted 2 sessions of field work at the 18th century Spanish
Presidio Santa Maria de Galve (1698-1722) in Pensacola and the ceramic
assemblage is about 50-50 Spanish/Mexican and Indian.  Ceramics dominate the
assemblage and about 25% is made up of lead glazed coarse earthenware which
appears to be both wheel thrown and hand built.

We are suspicious that the lead glazed coarse earthenware may have been made
by the resident Indian population (mixture of immigrant Creeks and
Choctaws), although there appears to be a detectible temper difference from
tradtional Indian made ceramics.

 Has anyone ever seen this before in a colonial ceramic assemblage?  Could
it possibly be a colonoware?