HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Frances Kemmish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:59:22 -0500
Patricia Liefer wrote:

> Also on this point and to whomever is really good at the detective work,
> please advise:
>
> A few years ago (probably more like seven or so) the Arts and
> Entertainment Network broadcast a 10-part series, entitled, "The Borgias".
> It starred the actor Oliver Cotton and was, I believe, produced by
> LionHeart (sp?) Productions.  It was hosted by the journalist Edwin Newman
> who would, between segments, interview experts in the various fields of
> Renaissance History.  DOES ANYONE know where it might be possible to find
> a copy of this series.  We've tried BBC and a few distributors and not a
> lead was found at all.

I remember this series; it was on in England before my son was born, and
so it must be at least fifteen years old. I also remember it as being
absolutely dreadful. In England, there was no commentary by historians,
just the mediaeval bodice-ripping. The most memorable scene, as I
recall, was some kind of 'horse-race' in nightgowns. Is this the same
series?

I don't recall whether it was on BBC or maybe Channel 4 in England,
though. Perhaps they're trying to forget it, too.

Fran