From:
Robert Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 22:18:13 -0500
Hello List:
I am a "new" beekeeper with, at present, one colony.  That colony was
moved from its out-in-the-country location to my suburban back yard in the
Autumn.  I am curious about poisonous honey because the topic is brought
up in some of the beekeeping books that I have read, but my question is
not answered there.
I have a rather large Wisteria sinensis arbour right behind my house...the
hive is at present underneath the arbour.   The wisteria blooms profusely
and beautifully in late May...the carpenter bees seem to like it.  I
wonder if the honey would be poisonous to humans?  Does anyone know?  The
horticultural books that I have, state that ALL PARTS....are poisonous.
Could that include nectar?  I have read that Rododendron sp. honey is
poisonous.   But I can find nothing about Wisteria. I want to leave my
bees in my garden till June, and then move them to the country, but if its
"dangerous", I guess I have to get them out of there a lot earlier.
Any knowledgeable comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks,  Robert

Robert C.L. Watson
pipe organ technician    organist - choirmaster    early woodwind player
hobby beekeeper    homebrewer   tenor   piper