"L. Jonathan Kramer, P.E." <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 02:04:38 -0500
On Sun, 29 Dec 1996 19:53:46 -0500, Marie Davis wrote:
>The IBCLC is not an entry level exam like the RN boards.

Doesn't IBLCE define the IBCLC as entry level?  Jan?

>        An intern is a
>student physician who is practicing off the license of a mentor. If the
>intern screws up the supervising MD is in trouble too.  A resident is already
>an MD (having passed boards) who is in the process of obtaining
>specialization .

MD and DO are specific graduate doctoral degrees.  If the institution which
granted the degree is recognised, the MDs and DOs can take additional
required training (internship) and then apply for a license to practice (which
also requires that they have passed licensing examinations).  They are,
however, "doctors" by virtue of their doctoral degrees, whether or not they
ever pursue licenses.  Third and fourth year students are "externs", and
work in teaching hospitals before they are doctors.  They practice under the
supervision of licensed physicians, and frequently are allowed to do all the
procedures the doctors (interns) do, the major difference being the level of
supervision.

IMHO, there should be differing levels of education available for high-school
graduates, holders of associate degrees, and holders of other baccalaureate
degrees to qualify a student as a "Graduate LC", which should be a
baccalaureate level qualification.  Graduate LCs should then be eligible for
training as "LC Interns" while they accumulate the necessary hours for
certification.  This should be a paid position, just as a medical internship is.

I think it would be wonderful if there were advanced degrees in lactation, but
there's no way for that to happen until a baccalaureate is widely recognised.

Jonathan
           L. Jonathan Kramer, P.E.
       Graduate Breastfeeding Counselor
         Student Lactation Consultant
      Certified Medela Nursing Bra Fitter
 Only G-d knows the formula for mother's milk