From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 18:01:22 -0500
Val asked what to do when the baby or hubby wakes, which wakes the toddler who thinks it's time to play.

The answer is: Play.

Who cares what time it is? Seize this wonderful moment - too soon it'll evaporate into the chores of the day. You can't get a wakeful person back to sleep, no matter what age.  Once I learned that lesson, life got less complicated for me and my family. You may as well give up on the myth of "straight-through" sleeping, and look for opportunities to cat-nap when you can or engage in quiet activities and tune out periodically. Your "mother alarm" will bring you back to reality if the toddler or baby needs you - you're magically connected to them by breastfeeding anyway.

And be patient. This too shall pass.

Linda Smith, Dayton OH - older and wiser now, and still not sleeping through the night.