From:
Tami Karnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 15:02:53 -0700
On Jan. 12 you wrote:
>Sage, parsley and mint are all lactation supressants. I find mint to be the
>least active. I found out about parsley the hard way, by taking it in a
>botanical combination remedy. My milk suppy dropped immediately. i informedmy
>health care practitioner who did not know it could have that action and so he
>has now learned as well. I use sage for women who are weaning and want to
>suppress lactation more quickly than dropping out feeds gradually will do. it
>has been very sucessful. i have not found any protocol, however, in any of my
>herb books: how moany cups of infusion per day, etc. I also have not found
>anything that describes the side effects or action sof sage if taken with
>other things. Any help on that score from lact-netters would be appreciated.

Your assesment is correct, mint is the least active of these three options
for decreasing the milk supply, however, it will decrease the supply
significantly if you ingest to much of it.  Parsley and Sage both work
beautifully and can be taken in a couple of different ways.  You can make a
standard infusion of 1 TBSP of raw herb to 1 C. of hot water, let steep for
15 - 20 minutes and ingest 1 cup at least 3 times per day up to 6 times per
day depending upon if you want to cease the supply completely of just slow
it down a bit.  The other option is to take these herbs in the form of a
tincture.  You can take 30 - 60 drops of tincture 3 - 6 times daily just as
you would the infusion.  If you have other questions, please feel free to
contact me direct either by e-mail or at my 800#.
Wishing you health and wellness!

Tami Karnes,
Certified Herbalist                     One With Nature
Reiki Practitioner                      P.O. Box 1724
Sedona, AZ                              Sedona, AZ  86339-1724
[log in to unmask]                       (800) 230-5166