From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 21:30:41 -0500
Wait a second.  What bilirubin are we talking about?  The mother's
bilirubin will be excreted into her milk?  What bilirubin?  I presume
the mother is not jaundiced. (Did I misread the initial post?  It was
only the baby right?).  I presume that if she is not jaundiced, her
total bilirubin is, as we used to measure, <1 mg%.  Undetectable, in
other words. I have never heard of anyone finding bilirubin in the
milk.

What kind of an issue are we making out of this.  The issue is: A baby
who breastfeeds well is in no danger from non pathologic jaundice.
And if he is not breastfeeding well, the mother should be helped to
breastfeed.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC