From:
Brian Tassey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 22:14:32 -0500
Jerry,

I have often suspected that open feeding causes abnormal bee loss.  One thing
I've noticed is that actual feeding surface area is important.  There is a
great deal of difference to the the rate of consumption if the surface area
is doubled.  The visual losses (I'm not the most scientific guy) don't always
go up with increased surface area, sometimes they decrease.  I used that idea
with my division board feeders (in each hive year-round) by putting another
feed tube (now one at either end) in them.  The bees don't go after the feed
in such a rush as to drown each other any more and the rate of consumption is
up by at least 25%.  Anytime there's drowning it's usually related to the
health of the colony.  Thanks for verifying that with your counters.

Brian

Atwater, CA