From:
Vladimir Ptacek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 18:48:10 CST
Here in Europe we prefer to use more foundation and replace old combs
because of sanitary reasons. It is generally known that old dark combs may
become a source of nosema, chalk brood, AFB, EFB. Yes, bees do prefer
darker combs for wintering and storing honey. But if too much
generations develop in the same cells combs are not dark, but black and
heavy, cells certainly are narrower and SHORTER since every generation
leaves exuvia and feces in them. Bees actually are smaller in comparison
to those emerged in lighter combs and the other disadvantage may be that
such combs take in less honey. So reasonable compromise may be the best
way here, too - we should prefer brown combs.
Best regards,
Vladimir Ptacek, Czech Republic