From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 07:39:39 -0500
There is absolutely no need to stop breastfeeding after having an MRI
even with MRI dye.  This is another example of sacrificing breastfeeding
on the altar of our ignorance.  There is absolutely no evidence that
gadolinium (the contrast material used with MRI's) causes any problem
for the baby.  We use gadolinium when we do MRI's on babies; some of
them are really tiny.  Only tiny amounts of gadolinium come out in the
milk.  The half life of gadolinium is only a few hours.  Why a mother
would have to stop breastfeeding for that is beyond me.

        One thing that is frequently forgotten in all these questions on drugs
is this:  Do mothers have a right to say "Thank you for your advice
doctor, but I have thought this over and given the importance of
breastfeeding for me and my baby, and given the risks of formula feeding
which obviously outweigh the risks of (in this case) gadolinium, I have
decided to continue breastfeeding".  Of course they do.  Where is the
physician getting the advice to stop breastfeeding after using
gadolinium?  In the product insert that comes from the company.  What is
the company's reason for saying to stop breastfeeding for 24 hours (not
a few days, by the way)?  They are protecting themselves, not mothers
and babies.  Informed choice remember?

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC