From:
Katharine West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 04:06:32 -0800
Greetings to the Lactnetters from Southern California,

I have been lurking long enough, and will declare my presence finally.
I struggle to keep up with all the postings, let alone post anyting!

About myself, I am an RN (since 1981) and have worked comprehensive
Maternal-Child health areas (NICU, PICU, L&D). Presently I teach
Computer Literacy and Nursing Informatics at Azusa Pacific University (I
should have my APU web page up *real soon now*). I am also *yet again* a
grad student, this time in the Family Nurse Practitioner program also at
APU. My interest is infant survival. My thesis may be on extended
breastfeeding (up to 6 years) in the US *or* it may be on the humane
care of the VLBW a la the Marcovich model.

I became IBCLC in 1988. I have been in private practice as an LC since
1984, when I completed the UCLA LE program. I have published a few
articles on breastfeeding which you may or may not have seen.

My Public Health degree is in Maternal-Child Community Health with an
emphasis on infant nutrition from UCLA, Department of Population/Family
Health. While at UCLA, I had the great privilege of being a student of
the late great Dr. Jelliffe, and advised by his wonderful wife, Patrice
Jelliffe. They have had a profound influence on me - both personally and
professionally. Other mentors of mine are Kittie Frantz and Chloe
Fisher.

One thing I'd like to add, I have been priveleged (yes, think about it -
it *is* a privelege) to find myself in the role of a true consultant for
lactation advisment to the Ezzos for their breastfeeding materials.
Before you jump to your email reply and any conclusions, let me reassure
you that I have had and still have the same concerns as you all do
regarding attachment, schedules, etc. Remember who my mentors are to
know what I believe and teach. The only difference between me and thee
is that somehow I was fortunate to develop a relationship with them
whereby I can talk issues over, provide information and data to
persuade, and help them revise what they well know are contentious
issues. I will do a posting another time on my interesting and, yes,
rewarding work with them.

And because my last name is West, sometimes young siblings of infants
with whom I am consulting have inadvertently called me "Miss Breast".

Until later, Katharine