From:
Diane Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 15:19:05 -0800
I am writing today to ask your opinion of a situation with a mom.  Her
baby boy was born healthy full term Monday afternoon.  Its been 3 days
and her breasts have not gotten fuller. She is not using anything besides
the breast and IS doing nothing but nursing round the clock. We were at
the doc today and she said that his mouth was dry and meconium was not
completely passed as of yet. this troubled her,( the doc). Now, this mom
had the same problem with her last baby, no sensation of fullness, never
seemed to have much milk. She ended up supplimenting and nursing (not
much nursing) she pumped and did everything possible. This time she is
not giving baby a pacifier and is pumping (just started today) again,
after feedings and pumping on one side while baby nurses on the other.
The doc  is giving her  "one more day" to get 6 wet diapers and a yellow
stool. If there is none then she is to suppliment. What do you all think
may be going on here. The baby looks like he is latching well.  She's
never had breast surgery, no meds, nothing seems out of the ordinary. she
can express some milk , looks like milk not colostrum, onto her nipple,
but her breasts are flacid (SP?) Your input please?
Diane Barnes
"Everything turns out the way we expect, just different."