Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 20:06:33 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (6 lines)
Cheryl,
        Everytime I see a post like yours it makes me feel relieved that it is not just here that there is so much yeast.  I also have noted an increase in calls reporting mastitis and ductal yeast symptoms.  I have two possible explanations for the increase,  increased antibiotic use due to increased screening for Beta Strep and the moms themselves trying harder to keep breastfeeding.  
        I also wonder how many of the people who at some point call with mastitis may have had nipple yeast first which caused the tissue to be so fragile and allow bacteria to penetrate.  By history  this often seems plausible, although you can never really tell.  
         What nipple cream are you recommending with the Antibiotics?  Nystatin has been the first treatment in our area, but it is so rarely effective.  One Peds office said if they used it it was for 3 weeks with 3 refills because it took so long to work.  Lotrimin or Nizoril seem to work more often.  My impression  is that once you get to the deep stabbing breast pain, then the best treatment is systemic.  Several patients have needed lengthy courses of antibiotics and antifungals simultaneously to prevent recurrence.  If mom or baby are symptomatic then both need treatment.  good luck.  tracy throckmorton rn ibclc
                                portland oregon

ATOM RSS1 RSS2