From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 11:02:11 +0100
What to put in the "travelling bag"?  I've been very pleased with this:

I have 2 bags, one for "papers", one for "stuff".  The papers one holds
handouts (in manilla envelopes according to topic), a copy of Bestfeeding
to loan, a copy of Womanly Art to loan, empty client folders*, and the
3-ring binder that has forms, notes, etc in it.

The "stuff" bag has 1-gallon plastic bags in it, labelled:

DEMO (cloth breast, balloons & lipstick, bottle, nipple shield, SNS,
shells, etc - none of them new)

NIPPLES (new shells, lansinoh, dimple ring, nipple shields, syringe to cut, etc)

FEEDING (eye droppers, cups, SNS, teats, p-syringe, etc)

CLEAN (finger cots, glove, soap)

BOOKWORK (pen, pencil, calculator, receipt book for
non-insurance-reimbursable items)

SLIPPERS (a pair I can put on at home visits so I'm not in street shoes but
not in bare feet either)

My doll lies on top of the whole thing.  I take along a pump and kit and
scale if I think they might be needed, but leave them in the car.

*The client folder is recent.  Each client gets a 2-pocket folder w/ my
name, #, and e-mail address on the front.  Inside, the left pocket has a
sticker that says "Papers on this side are for general interest or future
use."  Right pocket has a sticker that says "Papers on this side are worth
looking at now."  I sort their handouts/forms before I go (and paperclip
all the insurance stuff together), so they have immediate reading for
reinforcement, and leisure reading for whenever they're curious.

For this congenitally disorganized person, this system has *greatly*
reduced the cloud of chaos I tend to travel in!  Now grocery shopping...

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY