Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:38:20 -0400
At 08:12 AM 8/21/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Question - For a session to count as CEU does the presenter or at least one
>person presenting need to be a RN - in other words if doing a breastfeeding
>in-service for nurses would an RN have to participate or could it be
>completely done by a IBCLC (not RN)
>
>Rose Marie Straeter, IBCLC
>B.A.B.Y. - Breastfeeding Assistance for Baby & You
>1214 Southfield Road
>Evansville, IN  47715
>812-475-0123

Hi Rose, I can reply from the perspective of CERPs from IBLCE:

If you are asking about CERPs (Continuing Education Recognition Points) from
IBLCE (as opposed to continuing education credits, whatever they might be
called, from another credentialing organization), the presenter does not
*have* to be an RN, and in appropriate circumstances the presenter does not
have to be an IBCLC.  It depends on the topic, and the qualifications of the
presenter that are applicable to that topic.  (For example, the mother of a
special-needs baby who provides support to other mothers in similar
situations may have the skills and knowledge to give a presentation.)

For an IBLCE-approved program in North America, there must be an IBCLC on
the program planning committee.

Each credentialing organization will have its own requirements so be sure
you are familiar with the "ins and outs" of each organization.  I'll be glad
to answer any questions about IBLCE CERPs via private e-mail.

Mary Riley Renard, RN, BSN, IBCLC
CERP/Recertification Coordinator
International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners
P O Box 2348
Falls Church  VA  22042-0348
Tele 703-560-7330
Fax 703-560-7332