From:
Peter Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 00:26:57 +1300
At 04:05 PM 6/22/96 GMT, Eric Abell wrote:

>I agree that 'raw' honey crystallized faster but this has nothing to do with
>the shelf life unless it is identified as liquid honey.
>
>I have no objection to customers believing that crystallized honey is the
>only way to know that it is raw and unprocessed but lets be clear that this
>is not factual.  Surely it depends upon what is meant by 'processing' but
>given enough time most (and perhaps all) honey will crystalize.
>
>Eric Abell
>Gibbons, Alberta Canada
>(403) 998 3143

There will always be lots of discussions about "raw", "unfiltered" unheated"
"organic" "natural" product.  How about some definitions with these
statements. These tend to differ from country to country, area to area etc.
e.g. I'm sure "heating" has a different meaning in Mexico than Alaska.
Specifically, could a few people define:

"Unheated"  (I presume it doesn't mean the product is held at absolute zero!)

"Unfiltered" -  there is some mention of "strained", does that mean
filtered? if not what size of filter/strainer is considered the border
between strained/filtered  unfiltered/filtered?  10 microns? 100 microns?
1000? ......

Please use some actual _measurements_ in these definitions.

How about some discussions on what is a "Natural" part of honey.

Pollen? - the stuff that arrives with the nectar.... or the stuff that is
incorporated into the honey from the extraction process (from stored pollen
in the frames).  Are both of these sources of pollen a natural component of
honey?

If "unprocessed", do these "natural" components extend to bee parts, brood
residues etc.
Cheers
Peter Bray, Airborne Honey Ltd., PO Box 28, Leeston, New Zealand
Fax 64-3-324-3236,  Phone 64-3-324-3569  [log in to unmask]